Update on activities at the MBI Media Institute, Sana’a, Yemen, January 2015
It has been an extraordinarily busy time for the MBI Media Institute in Sana’a. Director Abdullah Ghorab has maintained activity at the Institute despite the security situation in the Yemeni capital. A total of eight training courses have been held recently.
* Two programmes focused on training in the production of television reporting skills in the field, aimed at two different levels of experience and under the tuition of Abdul-Rahman al-Shamiri.
* Courses in dubbing for television and also for radio were held, run by Khaled Olayan. These courses were for university students and trainee broadcasters from Yemeni TV channels.
* Ahmed al-Qurashi ran two training programmes on press support for victims of sexual violence against children. These were attended by practising journalists in the media and also Yemeni officials in the media and from civil society organizations.
* A course in the observance of human rights in the Media was run by Najla Omari, and
* Khaled Matari ran a training programme on modern skills in professional television photography for photographers working at TV channels.
The reputation and success of the MBI Institute has meant that the number of requests from different organisations, including those operating in the area of civil society has risen. The practical aspect of the courses on offer is one of the facets that make them so attractive, in an area which has traditionally been theory based.
Coverage of Institute activity can be found in the following local Yemeni outlets: