In March 2005, the MBI Al Jaber Foundation sponsored a conference at Wilton Park, on building participatory governance and representative institutions in the broader Middle East and North Africa.
The conference addressed such questions as:
• What are the options for promoting participatory governance in the Middle East?
• How can transparency and accountability be best protected?
• What constitutional reform is necessary?
• How can legislatures be strengthened?
• To what extent have political parties developed?
• What should be the role of business?
• What measures are needed to ensure the inclusion of minorities?
• How will US policy to promote reform develop under the next administration?